Panko-Crusted Chicken with Mustard Maple Pan Sauce
2-8 oz skinless chicken breast halves cut crosswise in half
2tsp. + 2 tbs. Dijon mustard
1 large egg
1 tbs finely chopped Italian parsley
1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs
2 tbs. olive oil
1 cup low-salt chicken broth
2 tbs. pure maple syrup
2 tbs. + 1 tsp. course-grained mustard
1 tbs. chilled unsalted butter
- Using meat mallet or rolling pin, pound chicken to 1/3-1/2 inch thickness
- Whisk egg, parsley, and 2 tsp. of Dijon mustard in large bowl
- Place chicken in egg mixture and turn to coat
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper
- Dip each chicken piece into panko, turn to coat
- Heat oil in skillet over med-high heat. Add chicken; cook until brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile whisk broth, syrup, course-grained mustard, and remaining 2 tbs Dijon mustard in a measuring cup.
- Transfer chicken to plates and add broth mixture to skillet; boil until reduced 10 3/4 cup, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add butter; whisk until melted and spoon sauce on chicken.
Creme Fraiche and Chive Mashed Potatoes
3 quarts of water
2 tbs. coarse kosher salt plus additional for seasoning
2 lbs. of Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup creme fraiche
2 tbs. unsalted butter
3 tbs. chopped fresh chives
- Bring the water to a boil and add salt and potatoes. Cook until potatoes are tender about 18 minutes. Drain and mash potatoes. Cover the bowl to keep them warm.
- Heat milk, creme fraiche, and butter in saucepan over medium heat, just until bubbles begin to form at the edge, stirring until butter melts.
- gradually mix bot milk mixture into potatoes and fold in the chives.
- Season with course salt and pepper.
Matt and I took on Hollywood and the gross popularity of reality TV last night when we mockingly went as 'Kate +8' ( I was Kate with 8 baby dolls tied to my hip and Matt was my camera crew). Some of you may know this show and the ridiculousness of it, Kate is divorcing Jon and TLC has come forward and said that the show will now be called 'Kate +8' instead of the previous title, 'Jon and Kate + 8'; this of course will only happen if people continue to tune in to this train wreck of a family who's parents have put their children on display in order to find financial abundance. A beautiful reminder that when wealth is desired at the expense of other people's lives (their own children's) there is a karmic return and in this case it is playing out on national TV. Matt predicts bankruptcy for both of them within a year of the show ending. While it might not be in total taste to make fun, we did get a number of laughs!
Kate is having an "affair" with her camera man
'Kate + 8'